Program Coordinator (Garfield Park and Humboldt Park)
CircEsteem values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.CircEsteem is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
This year's Spring Circus will be directed by CircEsteem's Program Manager, Azahdi Babi, and Executive Director, Dan Roberts. The show will be sculpted in partnership with youth performers, teaching artists, and theater design professionals. We will follow a group of young people on a journey to explore and discover the meaning of “home.” The youth and production team will begin building the show in January and perform six times in the theater of CircEsteem's brand new, purpose-built Social Circus facility on May 10, 11, 18, and 19!
CircEsteem values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. CircEsteem is an equal-opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital
status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.
Our Mission & Vision CircEsteem unites youth across all backgrounds and identities by fostering self-esteem and mutual respect through the practice and performance of the circus arts. Specifically, CircEsteem promotes the development of self-esteem, personal success, and empowerment by (i) promoting the practice of circus arts; (ii) uniting youth from diverse backgrounds; (iii) providing skills training; and (iv) providing children from low-income and economically challenged backgrounds with the financial safety net they will need as they seek higher education.
Costume Designer Duties:
- Collaborate with CircEsteem’s directorial team and youth performers to understand the vision and contribute creative ideas to enhance the narrative and themes of the production, prioritizing youth voice and perspective
- Develop and implement a fully realized costume design for a youth ensemble of 85 with 2-3 significant costume changes. Please note costumes must allow for movement and dance that meet the particular needs of circus acts. Costume pieces will be mostly purchased or sourced, with limited build or alteration requests.
- Coordinate a fitting schedule with CircEsteem’s staff and youth performers.
- Create and submit any necessary paperwork or sketches and any necessary rehearsal pieces in a timely manner.
- Attend any necessary production meetings and rehearsals to ensure alignment of the design elements with the overall production.
- Ensure that the design adheres to the budget and timeline constraints of the production.
- Manage costume storage and inventory during the production’s timeline
- Promptly provide all necessary documentation of expenses and purchases of costume items.
- Present at all final dress rehearsals; duties include: organization of costume area, communicating with youth about their costume needs/ changes, troubleshooting in-moment costume malfunctions as they arise in a timely manner prior to youth reentering stage, collecting clear notes on costumes for directors to review and have access to
Application Submission Process:
- portfolio items in the form of images or video links